openRDF.org Welcome Guest   | Login   
  Search  
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds

Forum has been closed down
This forum has been closed down due to extensive spamming activities. Please use the mailing list instead.

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12151 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Mar 1, 2007 12:51:38 PM

skouk
Visitor

How to store an ontology

Hi guys,

I am new in this forum as well so pls bear with me:)

I am currently working on a project in which I want to include ontologies. I have already created my OWL file. I have difficulty in deciding how to store it (the classic ontology question!). Two basic options exist:

- either I store ontology as an OWL graph using a framework (will Sesame do or is it only for RDF formats?)

- separate the data form the ontology management information into different repositories to enable quicker access and queries. But I am not sure how the second is feasible technically.

In general, this is an architecture choice but I have difficulties seeing the large image and reaching a decision.

Can anyone with some experience help?
Show Printable Version of Post     [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mar 1, 2007 1:56:19 PM

james
OpenRDF.org Consultant

Canada
Re: How to store an ontology

An OWL ontology is itself RDF data, so Sesame can store both the ontology and the domain data. Storing the ontology with the data is usually a good idea as this enables the possibility of reasoning on the data. When storing both the ontology and the data in the same repository it is a good idea to store the resources in a different namespace, so as not to confuse the two. With Sesame2 you also have the option of storing the ontology in its own context. This makes the ontology easier to update later.
----------------------------------------
Sesame Consultant
http://leighnet.ca
http://jamesrdf.blogspot.com
Show Printable Version of Post        Hidden to Guest    http://leighnet.ca [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Apr 13, 2010 10:56:13 AM

ravish
Regular

smile   Re: How to store an ontology

An OWL ontology is itself RDF data, so Sesame can store both the ontology and the domain data. Storing the ontology with the data is usually a good idea as this enables the possibility of reasoning on the data. When storing both the ontology and the data in the same repository it is a good idea to store the resources in a different namespace, so as not to confuse the two. With Sesame2 you also have the option of storing the ontology in its own context. This makes the ontology easier to update later.

I have a potentially embarrassing question. How do I retrieve an entire ontology into a model object (like jena model or sesame model object in Java)? I want to make sure that the model includes all classes, properties etc, plus if it refers to another ontology, also includes all linked classes/properties into an object that I can traverse over. Edit: However, it should exclude all other ontologies and classes that may be present but not linked to ontology I am trying to load.

I want to do this without having to resort to a lot of SPARQL/SeRQL statements.

If anyone can help me with a brief code snippet, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks,.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ravish at Apr 13, 2010 10:57:30 AM]
Show Printable Version of Post        Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]